User Research on the Cheap: conduct high-quality user research without breaking the bank!
What do you do when you need user feedback, input, or evaluation, butcan’t afford a recruiter, a test lab, or special software? In thistalk, we’ll give you our best free (and low-cost) tools and research
techniques to obtain the data you need for as close to $0 as possible.We’ll explore all the costs of conducting user research: time,recruiting, facilitation, software, recording, lab facilities,hardware, and incentives; and we’ll tell you how to get them for less.We’ll even throw in mobile testing tools and Agile testing methods for… you guessed it – free!
Chris is an internal usability consultant at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is also a Senior Lecturer at the College of Professional Studies (CPS) at Northeastern University, where he has taught for twelve years. He teaches graduate courses in usability and information architecture. Chris is on the Board of Directors of the Boston Chapter of the Usability Professionals’ Association (UXPA). Chris has an MA in Irish history from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut and an MS in Human Factors from Bentley University.
Jen is a Senior Principal Usability Engineer at Oracle, where she is leading the user research for several products, including cloud.oracle.com and Oracle Social Network. She is a reviewing editor for the Journal of Usability Studies, on the Board of Directors for UPA Boston, and is a reviewer for CHI 2013. Jen holds a BS in Information Systems from UMBC and an MS in Human Factors in Information Design from Bentley University..
Tuesday, December 11th, 2012
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm Refreshments & Networking
- 7:00 – 7:30 pm Announcements
- 7:30 – 9:00PM Presentation and Q&A
Oracle (Formerly Sun Microsystems)
45 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803-2756
Directions & Parking (from Route 128/I-95)
- Take the Rte 3 exit (Exit 32)
- Follow signs for Rte 3 NORTH
- Once on Rte 3, take the first exit (Rt. 62 – Bedford Ave)
- Turn RIGHT at the light at the end of the exit ramp
- About 1/4 mile down, turn right onto Network Drive – the Oracle-Sun campus will be on your right
- Take the second driveway on your right off of Network Drive into the parking lot
- Park in the visitor lot and enter the lobby opposite the Clock Tower